2011/06/12

Magazines and Me


Yes, I am guilty. Yes, I do it regularly. No, I do not regret it. Yes, I will continue....

Those are my feelings about my addiction. Fashion magazines, folks. I LOVE them. They have shaped my life. My first memory of reading a real fashion magazine was when I was fourteen years of age. Hamlin, Texas.....We are talking way West, Texas....population of about 500, and I was visiting relatives. My sister and cousin were 16 and definitely not interested in letting me hang out with them. They were out flirting with the local young cowboys. I was left with that pile of magazines I found on the floor in my cousin's room. Little did I know, my life was about to change. I opened the first page and was transported to a world I had never been priviledged to be a part of.

You see, I grew up in a very rural part of Texas. Cotton farms and ranches. We wore jeans and boots. Those girls on those pages!!! OH, MY!!! They wore make-up and they wore pretty dresses. Where had I been all my life? There was no turning back for me. It took me the whole weekend to finish every page in every one of those magazines. Maybe no one else noticed, but believe me, folks, I was a changed girl.

My staples are every nationality of Vogue. Bazaar's are top of my list, also. I have plastic folders full of sheets I have torn out over the years. They are divided into categories.......Decoration, Travel, Sweaters, Accessories, Hair, Beauty........O.K., I will stop. You get the picture. Fashion magazines are still an important source of inspiration for me. I respect very much the effort and vision of the team of people who put these on our news stands.

By the way, these are my new purchases for the summer. Maui Jim sunglasses and a new pair of red sandals from St. Tropez. My next purchase for the summer will have to wait until I am back home.
Nothing will stop me from buying a new straw cowboy hat just like the one I used to wear when I was on the farm in West Texas. It is such a good feeling to know that somethings never change.

I promise you a picture of that!!! Love from me, Linda


1 commentaire:

KatyE. a dit…

I LOVE WHAT YOU WROTE!!!!!!!! I totally relate! I often have thought, since I am guilty of buying different magazines since 15, of all the money I could of saved- instead of it going to Vogue, Elle, Homes & Gardens, etc. I most likely would of had enough money to buy 2 Hermes bags by now! Yet, I know that all the hours I spent feeding my mind with wonderful images has formed my life for the better!
Thank you for sharing this!!!!!!