2011/02/06

The Souk



I have always loved to travel and find each country I visit so very interesting. I love to experience the different life styles.....their habits and their daily routines.
I am guessing I have been to the souk in Marrakech about 20 times. Let me confess that I am still a little shy about wandering around by myself . Each time I try to wander a little further off the beaten path. Who knows? Maybe one day I will be zipping around the souk like a local!!!

My favorite shop for jellabas was closed........it was time for the muslim prayers and the man who helps me had closed for those few minutes...........as he does every evening..........I see them all rushing to their local mosque...........there are several in the souk..........I like seeing this.
Not any different than seeing the people in Texas going to the local Baptist Church. Except the men and women are not going to pray together here.

Picture Number One .............. Spices..........there are dozens lined up just like this one.

Picture Number Two...........Where I go to buy my hand woven wash cloths. The local ladies use these when they go to the hammam. I have taken to using them everyday at home. Great for scrubbing the dry skin cells off......leaves me feeling like a baby.........almost. Anyway, they cost 20 dirhams each. That is about 2 euros or 3 dollars. I splurge and buy 3.

Picture Number Three..........local diner selling steamed snails. Always busy, busy, busy. I have yet to dine there...........never say never..........

Back to my jellaba shop tomorrow. Hope he will allow me to take pictures for you guys. He can seem a little severe at first but he usually warms up after a minute or two of discussing jellaba making......When I first came in with my meters of Liberty print last year, I thought he would faint. NOBODY every asked this man to make a traditional Marocaine jellaba out of English cotton flowered fabric. He frowned and then he laughed, actually.

Bonsoir et a demain, Linda

Aucun commentaire: